There are many lighting products consumers who have doubts when it comes to know that LED bulb choice, either for a new installation or to replace your current halogen bulbs or low power.
In the world of LED bulbs listed on Listofledlights, unlike what happens with other ancient technologies, a greater number of Watts (W) does not imply that the bulb will give more light, known as brightness (Lm). Why? We will explain you:
LED technology advances at breakneck speed, being a world that is comparable to the evolution of mobile phones or televisions, for example. Therefore every day the leading manufacturers of LED lighting chips (Samsung, Epistar, Cree, Sharp…) produce new models and LED technologies that offer a greater luminosity with a consumption increasingly lower, i.e. more efficient LED lighting products. This will offer a product, for example, equipped with antique (encapsulated) DIP LED 9W surely luminosity less than, for example, a product that integrates the new SMD3014 LED.
Then, what should I keep in mind when buying a LED bulb?
We will divide it into 2 key points:
That should not affect me:
- Price: an overly economic LED bulb (see current offers in supermarkets, for example) will be directly linked to a light bulb with LED technology outdated, and, by so many, little efficient.
- The W: either by a low power LED product (models of 1W for example) either by the opposite (a dichroic 9W LED for example), does not imply that the product is the most suitable, because if offer a bulb of 9W as replacement of one Halogen 50W sounds very good, but dichroic a LED 6W with current technology also you remplazaría to those 50W…
- Advertising: a huge poster, with a XXL size price and still largest LED Word, is not synonymous with savings. At present, and to the detriment of LED lighting products, are being marketed inefficient products, generating a long distrust by consumers, by offering you products which, although they may appear to ‘economic’, do not offer the quality that is required to LED technology.
That if it should influence me:
- Brightness: is the most important factor to consider when purchasing an LED lighting product, linked to the number of Watts (W) of the product, always looking for the greatest amount of lumens with fewer Watts. Currently, the ratio should not be less than 80 Lm/W except in some very specific product ranges.
- The product lifecycle: LED products increasingly provide a longer according to Listofledlights, not and must never be less than 25,000 hours life. Similarly, it must not fall into the ‘trap’ of the so-called products with warranty ‘for life’, since it is something that doesn’t exist. Longer life LED products are around the 50.000/60.000 hours.
- LED brand: we do not mean the brand of the product, since that buy products from any manufacturer of international name does not guarantee an efficient product, but brand LED integrated into the product, always looking for prestigious brands as believes, Samsung, Epistar, Sharp and Nichia…
Other aspects to consider when choosing the most suitable LED lighting
- Light tone: many users, influenced by misinformation offered repeatedly in various media, think that only LED lighting offers white light. That is a completely false, since any LED product is manufactured in a range of colours ranging from the warmer tone (2500K) to the cool (6500K).
- Cap: LED lighting products are fully compatible in 99% of cases, with the old lighting technologies. Therefore any product GU10, GU5.3 and E27, may for example be replaced by an LED product. It is very important to know the voltage that will work the LED product, since that, for example, in the case of bulbs G24 (for Downlight), in the case of the LED work directly to 230V, thus eliminated the extra consumption generated external components (ballasts, starters…) using other lighting technologies.
- Light angle: there is a wide range of angles of opening of light offered by the product. For example, for use in home, recommended angles between 60 ° and 120 °. For lighting of pictures or anywhere else that requires a more direct light, there are products LED with angles between 20 ° and 40 °.
We hope with this article have clarified some of the most common questions among users of lighting products. In a few days, we will publish our recommendations according to the place where they are to be installed LED lighting products.