Pastéis de bacalhau are a specialty of Portuguese cuisine. Get to know and learn, in this article, the base of the recipe the oldest and most traditional is already registered.
In the northern region of the country, the famous “pastéis de bacalhau are known for dumplings and cod. Despite the disagreements about its true region of origin, the base of the recipe is the same, only the name is changing.
The first recipe officially registered is dated 1904. Is in the book “Treaty of the Kitchen and pantry”, Carlos Bandeira Melo.
From this basis, many variations were created. See in this article a tasty version that comes closest to the considered official.
Prepare your taste buds and your guests to a dish unforgettable.
PASTÉIS DE BACALHAU RECIPE TRADITIONAL PORTUGUESE
To get a pastel texture consistent and with a strong presence of cod, the quantities of fish and potatoes should be approximate.
This recipe is for about 30 pastries.
– Ingredients –
- 450g of potatoes
- 350 g cod
- 6 eggs
- 1 branch generous of parsley, chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Salt q. b.
- Pepper q. b.
– Mode of preparation –
- In a pan, boil the potatoes until they are well soft;
- In another pot, boil the codfish until tender (you can bake them together in the same pot, it being necessary that they are well-cooked and soft);
- When they are both well-cooked, remove the peel of potatoes, as well as the skin and all bones from the cod;
- Pass both through a passe vite (utensil to smash the potatoes and vegetables). If you do not have this utensil, mash the potatoes until they are the consistency of mashed potatoes. Wrap the cod in a clean cloth and knead until well steeped;
- When both are well crushed, mix them together;
- Stir in the parsley, the garlic, the egg yolks, the salt and the pepper;
- Beat the egg whites and mix slowly;
- Wrap all the ingredients very well to obtain a homogeneous mixture;
- To give shape to the cakes, use 2 tablespoons: one to give the amount to the size of the pastel and the other to assist in the format, passing the dough from one to the other;
- In a frying pan, put a generous amount of oil so that the crayons from falling without touching the bottom;
- Heat well the oil in the point of frying and put the crayons fry until alourarem;
- Remove and put in the drain to serve as well dry.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TRADITIONAL RECIPE AND ITS VARIATIONS
This is the recipe that comes closest to the official dated at 123 years ago, however, their variations are incalculable.
In the book the official “Treaty of Kitchen and pantry”, is not described the presence of garlic, a seasoning that is currently considered essential to the flavor of pastéis de bacalhau.
Another difference is the presence of milk, that here we do not mention, therefore, is an ingredient that is optional.
In the book are not described by the quantities, but there is nothing better than to test different proportions to achieve the optimal result for you.
The important thing is that you will be with cod abundant, as well as the salsa.
PROPERTIES THE COD FOR THE HEALTH
Still that is a recipe fried in oil, that is not often indicated for daily consumption, we have the cod to provide a nutritional value rich for the recipe. Let’s remember their health benefits.
It is a fish that is easy to digest, has high biological value proteins. It also has potassium, iron, phosphorus, calcium and vitamins of the b complex.
In addition to all these benefits, it is a source of fatty poly-unsaturated, highlighting the omega-3. This acts in the protection of the cardiovascular system and favors the development of the immune system.
Enjoy pastéis de bacalhau as a snack, starter or accompaniment.
It was not by chance that this delicacy was a finalist of the 7 Wonders of Portuguese Gastronomy in 2011.