Where to Dispose of Fluorescent Lamps?

The disposal of fluorescent lamps deserve special attention, considering that within a fluorescent lamp, there is a very dangerous chemical component to health: Mercury, a heavy metal and toxic.

The Risks Of Mercury

The mercury still has the lead company in the composition of the lamps.According to the Brazilian Association of technical standards (ABNT), the maximum amount of mercury that can be concentrated into one unit is 100 milligrams of mercury per kilogram of waste. The contact with the substance at higher levels can cause serious health problems.

The biggest problem happens when the substance is inhaled, even more if the amount of elemental mercury is large, which can cause neurological disorders and even hidragirismo (intoxication that causes cough, dyspnea, chest pain and other more serious problems).

On environmental issues, when the mercury is dumped irregularly in rivers, for example, he volatiza and passes into the atmosphere, causing likely contaminated rain. Can happen also microorganisms absorb the mercury, making it organic instead of metal. Aquatic animals and plants can retain the mercury and thus contaminate the environment with no chance of eradication.

Mercury is released over two weeks after your disposition. USA only, are released in nature between two and four tons of mercury annually.

And if you broke?

Stay tuned! Before clearing the area, the first thing to do is remove the local children and animals, in addition to not let anyone touch the material.

Ventilate the environment is also important. Therefore, Windows and doors should be opened as soon as possible. To remove the shards, wear gloves and place them in a plastic bag that can be sealed off to clean the small pieces. Use Scotch tape and paper towel dampened to wipe the last traces that can pass unnoticed.

If the fluorescent bulb broke on top of bedding or any other material that has direct contact with the body, this can no longer be reused even after washing. She has to be discarded, because the contact with mercury already dismantled. If cut with broken glass, seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Specialized Disposal

Processes performed in specialized places are responsible for removing mercury from fluorescent lamps, thus eliminates the possibility of ambienteis contamination and poisoning. Even so, they should be well done, looking for what the right places, isolating the material in case of breakage and warning about the content delivered.

Don’t let this material is taken to landfills are common. Many packages of this type of lamp will actually tell you if the product is recyclable.a